Sunday, 26 March 2017

The Half Rosie Dress

Hello, Hello!

Another finished make today. This time it's a Sew Over It Rosie bodice with a basic gathered skirt.


I bought this fabric a while ago, although I can't remember where from! But it's gorgeous. I really love it!


I knew I wanted to make a dress out of it, but kept uhm'ing and ah'ing over what pattern to use. Then Sew Over It released the Rosie pattern and I instantly fell in love with the style of dress. It's completely my aesthetic - being a lover of all things 50's inspired! I loved the fact that it was what I would call a 'proper' sun-dress, with little straps.

Anyway, I loved the idea of using this pattern with this fabric, but the fabric was narrow and I didn't have enough, so in the end I decided to make the bodice of the Rosie dress and just do a simple gathered skirt.

I made this dress towards the end of the summer, but still managed to get a bit of wear out of it. Unfortunately, since making it, I've lost more of the remaining baby weight so its now too loose on me - boo! Which means I'm going to have to do a re-fit job on it at some point before I can wear it again and feel comfortable. It just feels a bit like a sack on my now, which is a little upsetting.

Anyway, I made up the version with the wider straps and no boning, as I wanted a simple dress I could wear when the weather was warm.


I cut a size 14 at the bust, tapering to a 12 at the waist, but had to take the pattern in slightly at the upper bust as my bust is quite flat at the top. In all honesty, and in hindsight, I could probably have got away with just cutting a straight size 12, because I ended up having to taper in the back seam line towards the top of the zip as it was a little loose there as well.

I then went on to make the strappy, boned version (next post). I'll definitely make up more versions of this dress, probably without the boning, but I'm going to need to re-size my pattern pieces again before I do that to make sure they fit properly.

That's all for now. Next up - my strappy, boned version of the Rosie Dress.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a lovely "proper" sundress 😊 And look on the bright side - better that it's got looser than tighter 😉 xx

    ReplyDelete