Friday, 31 March 2017

Blue Skys Rosie Dress

Hello again,

As I said in my previous post, here is my strappy, boned, full version of the Sew Over It Rosie Dress. Made out of some blue and white flowery cotton from Barry's Fabric Warehouse in Birmingham - or as I like to call it - Fabric Heaven!

So, you can probably tell from the pictures, that I have the same problem with this dress as I did with my previous Rosie dress - it's now too big for me, having lost more of the baby weight since making it towards the end of the summer. Annoyingly, because this has the boning inside it, it's going to take more time to re-size than the first version!

This time round, I had enough fabric to make the skirt from the pattern as well. This skirt takes A LOT of fabric, so if you're thinking about making it, make sure you buy plenty of fabric. I also lengthened the skirt by about 2.5 inches to make sure it fell below my knees - which is my preferred skirt length.

I found the method of attaching the boning outlined in the pattern instructions really fiddly, so it really doesn't look neat on the inside of my dress. Next time round I'd be tempted to just put it in boning casing even though it doesn't need it as its the plastic boning that's used for this pattern not the metal boning. At least that way I can sew straight down the edges of the casing and it'll be less fiddly.

I also messed up the collar on this dress so it doesn't sit evenly (you can see it in the first picture). It's kind of annoying but I really can't be bothered to go back and change it so it'll have to stay that way.

Other than that though, Lisa Comfort's instructions were, as always, easy to follow and straightforward. I love the style of this dress so I definitely have plans to make at least one more version. I have some lovely summery yellow gingham in my stash which I think would look great as a sun dress with this pattern. I just need the time to sew! There won't be any sewing in these parts for the next few weeks though, as were moving from the UK to Austria at the start of April, so everything is having to be packed away ready for shipping. But once were set up over there, I'll hopefully finally find time to sew again. I've already scoped out fabric stores in the city we're moving to. It looks like there's a store much akin to Barry's in Birmingham (possibly even better) so I may have found my new fabric mecca!

Sunday, 26 March 2017

The Half Rosie Dress

Hello, Hello!

Another finished make today. This time it's a Sew Over It Rosie bodice with a basic gathered skirt.

I bought this fabric a while ago, although I can't remember where from! But it's gorgeous. I really love it!

I knew I wanted to make a dress out of it, but kept uhm'ing and ah'ing over what pattern to use. Then Sew Over It released the Rosie pattern and I instantly fell in love with the style of dress. It's completely my aesthetic - being a lover of all things 50's inspired! I loved the fact that it was what I would call a 'proper' sun-dress, with little straps.

Anyway, I loved the idea of using this pattern with this fabric, but the fabric was narrow and I didn't have enough, so in the end I decided to make the bodice of the Rosie dress and just do a simple gathered skirt.

I made this dress towards the end of the summer, but still managed to get a bit of wear out of it. Unfortunately, since making it, I've lost more of the remaining baby weight so its now too loose on me - boo! Which means I'm going to have to do a re-fit job on it at some point before I can wear it again and feel comfortable. It just feels a bit like a sack on my now, which is a little upsetting.

Anyway, I made up the version with the wider straps and no boning, as I wanted a simple dress I could wear when the weather was warm.

I cut a size 14 at the bust, tapering to a 12 at the waist, but had to take the pattern in slightly at the upper bust as my bust is quite flat at the top. In all honesty, and in hindsight, I could probably have got away with just cutting a straight size 12, because I ended up having to taper in the back seam line towards the top of the zip as it was a little loose there as well.

I then went on to make the strappy, boned version (next post). I'll definitely make up more versions of this dress, probably without the boning, but I'm going to need to re-size my pattern pieces again before I do that to make sure they fit properly.

That's all for now. Next up - my strappy, boned version of the Rosie Dress.

Tuesday, 21 March 2017

The Not-so-Silk Cami

Hello my lovelies,

I've finally got round to photographing all my finished makes from the last 6 months or so. So expect some regular posts for the next few weeks (makes a change).

Today, it's another Sew Over It Silk Cami top but in a lovely white embroidered cotton lawn that I bought from Croft Mill over the summer.

The pattern is quite large and wide spread, and doesn't show up well in photos, but it's very pretty.

Not much to report in terms of fit and sewing up as this is the third version of this pattern that I've now made. All I would say, is that the embroidered parts were somewhat annoying to sew over and you had to be super careful about keeping your stitching line straight as the embroidery always wanted to knock you off course.

I wore this top SOO much over the summer, along with the other silk camis I made as well. they were such an easy go-to top to wear, whether it was with skirts, trousers or shorts, so I'm sure I'll make up more of them in the future!

If you haven't made this top already, I highly recommend you do, as it has become such a staple of my wardrobe. It looks great tucked in or worn loose too, so would be great for work as well as more casual wear. And as with all Lisa Comfort's patterns, the instructions are always super clear to follow.