Monday, 9 May 2016

Sew Over It Silk Cami

Morning lovely people,

Another finished make for you (I've been on a roll these last couple of weeks)!

So, I bought the Sew Over It Silk Cami pattern in pdf over a year ago now and never got round to sticking it together and making it up. But last week I got the tape and scissors out and went to work. I bought some grey faux silk from Sew Over It at the same time as buying the pattern specifically to make the top with so I dug that out as well.


The top is super simple to make with only 4 pieces in total and has a really nice way of sewing together the straps which means there is no seam allowance on show underneath. The main bodice and facing side seams are also all sewn together using French Seams which makes it lovely and neat looking inside.

This fabric was a lot easier to sew with that I thought it would be as it's not too slippery, however, it marks really easily. Drips of water from my iron whilst pressing left lovely looking water marks on the fabric! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make the other half do the washing up if I'm wearing this top (shame).

I like the relaxed loose fit of this top - it works well both hanging out over jeans and tucked into a waistline for a smarter work look, although I'm more likely to wear it hanging out these days as I spend them looking after a little one and kneeling on the floor rather than in an office environment.


I definitely have plans to make at least one more version of this top (as I already have the fabric for it), but will probably make more of them in the future too as they're so versatile.

This is the second Sew Over It pattern I've sewn up (I made a pair of Ultimate Trousers last year but never got round to photographing / blogging about them and they currently don't fit my post baby figure annoyingly as I love them). Lisa's instructions are really clear and easy to follow - she used clear images in her booklets to support the written instructions - which makes the whole sewing process nice and enjoyable. I'd definitely recommend her patterns, she has so many lovely ones. I'd probably make them all if I had the budget!

6 comments:

  1. Its gorgeous and such a perfect smart/ casual top for the warmer weather! I am with you, have so far made two of Lisa patterns but would love to make them all, they are so well designed and flattering in style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love this pattern so much I've already made another, with a third fabric lined up for one more after that too!

      Delete
  2. Agree that Lisa's patterns are well written. This top looks great on you. Perfect for the hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes it was perfect last week when it was so warm.

      Delete
  3. Very nice Helen. I haven't seen with silk yet, faux or real, slippery fabric scares me a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The faux silk I Used here was really lovely to sew with. It's from Sew Over It. But the rayon I made my second one out of was much more slippery to handle. I'd go with the faux silk again if I had any but I'm trying to use up some of my stash (so I can buy more fabric obviously!).

      Delete