Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Finished Project: Grainline Hack

Hello hello, how are we all?

Unfortunately, the summer holidays are now over and I've been back at work since Tuesday - RUBBISH! But at least there's only 7 weeks to go till I finish for maternity leave! (Not that I'm counting or anything!) However, I do have a finished make for you again today. A Grainline t-shirt hack.


I made this at the start of the summer holidays (despite having other things I'd planned to make - like an actual, proper Grainline t-shirt, with the insect material I bought I while back). I had this idea in my head of a cross over front t-shirt and thought the Grainline pattern would work a treat.

And it pretty much did. Although there are a few tweaks I need to make to the hacked pattern still. Like increasing the size across the bust as it pulls a bit and I want it to be a little more relaxed and roomy.


Despite it not being perfect, I've worn this loads since making it and it's become a summer staple this year. I used some left over yellow broderie anglais I had in my stash.


I decided to get rid of the sleeves and widen the arm hole slightly then bind it all off with bias binding. All in all, a nice, straightforward, quick, make. The longest part was drafting out the new front pattern piece! :-) I've currently got a second version cut out with about 1 - 2" added to the bodice pieces so maybe that will make the fit better.

Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Finished Project: Kwik Sew 3486

Another finished dress for you. This time a Kwik Sew pattern. I've never used their patterns before but I was pleasantly surprised with the ease of the make.


I made this a few months back, based on my pre-maternity size at it was still too large for me. I was at that awkward stage of no longer fitting in to my previous clothes (unless they were stretchy) but still not really 'showing a bump' so not fitting into maternity clothes properly either.  However, I have worn this recently and although still a little roomy around my waist area it fits much better.


I made this out of some cotton I had in my stash which was intended for a summer dress that I never got round to making. It was really simple and straightforward to sew up so not much to report there really. The only thing I'm not happy with is the length - it's to long and what with the extra material over the bump area it looks a little frumpy so I want to shorten it by an inch or two and get it just above the knee I think.


I'm not sure how much wear I'll get out of this as I'm not overly fond of the pattern but it's there for me to wear should I need to.


The whole thing was machine sewn - including the hem. I've been so short on sewing time recently that when I do make something I've been quite lazy with finishing it off - usually I would catch stitch the hem of my makes as I think it looks better, but I just haven't had the inclination with these last few makes. I did finish the edges off with a zig-zag hem to prevent fraying though so I wasn't totally lazy!

I still need to get round to making the Megan Nielsen top version of the last dress I posted with the insect jersey.


Although I may make a Grainline T-shirt out of it instead. Not sure yet. I think I'll get more wear out of it post pregnancy if it's a Grainline T-shirt rather than a maternity top so I'm veering down that route. Plus, I'm still wearing the two Granline T-shirts I made a few years ago (here and here) at the moment and they're really comfy so I don't think I'll have to re-size the pattern to accommodate the bump at all which is a bonus.