Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Finished Project: Kwik Sew 3486

Another finished dress for you. This time a Kwik Sew pattern. I've never used their patterns before but I was pleasantly surprised with the ease of the make.


I made this a few months back, based on my pre-maternity size at it was still too large for me. I was at that awkward stage of no longer fitting in to my previous clothes (unless they were stretchy) but still not really 'showing a bump' so not fitting into maternity clothes properly either.  However, I have worn this recently and although still a little roomy around my waist area it fits much better.


I made this out of some cotton I had in my stash which was intended for a summer dress that I never got round to making. It was really simple and straightforward to sew up so not much to report there really. The only thing I'm not happy with is the length - it's to long and what with the extra material over the bump area it looks a little frumpy so I want to shorten it by an inch or two and get it just above the knee I think.


I'm not sure how much wear I'll get out of this as I'm not overly fond of the pattern but it's there for me to wear should I need to.


The whole thing was machine sewn - including the hem. I've been so short on sewing time recently that when I do make something I've been quite lazy with finishing it off - usually I would catch stitch the hem of my makes as I think it looks better, but I just haven't had the inclination with these last few makes. I did finish the edges off with a zig-zag hem to prevent fraying though so I wasn't totally lazy!

I still need to get round to making the Megan Nielsen top version of the last dress I posted with the insect jersey.


Although I may make a Grainline T-shirt out of it instead. Not sure yet. I think I'll get more wear out of it post pregnancy if it's a Grainline T-shirt rather than a maternity top so I'm veering down that route. Plus, I'm still wearing the two Granline T-shirts I made a few years ago (here and here) at the moment and they're really comfy so I don't think I'll have to re-size the pattern to accommodate the bump at all which is a bonus.

5 comments:

  1. I don't think it looks frumpy at all. You look lovely in it and it shows your bump nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it looks frumpy at all. You look lovely in it and it shows your bump nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! Yeah it's not too bad now I've shortened it slightly. I much prefer it now.

      Delete
  3. I really like this dress - maternity or not! And it definitely doesn't look frumpy at all. You should get a lot of post pregnancy wear out of it too - maybe pair it up with a cardi and boots in the winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's growing on me Sabs - definitely might try pairing it with tights / boots / cardie

      Delete