Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Made Up: Sewing for good causes and a finished project

Hello all,

As a primary teacher, reading and literacy are two things I believe are incredibly important - I'm also a book lover myself so it's doubly important to me! Which is why, when I saw Love Sewing Magazine and Karen over at Did You Make That? were launching the Made Up initiative to raise money for the National Literacy Trust, I just knew I had to take part - although having been away, it's taken a while to blog about it!
If you want more convincing, head over to Karen's site and read her blog entries about the cause.

Anyway, I donated and pledged to make something by the 8th September. And here it is! I pledged to make a Grainline t-shirt - nothing particularly fancy or challenging, but what with having a house in total chaos because of decorating (and therefore limited access to my fabric stash) and being 7 months pregnant so wanting something practical, it seemed like a good option to me.



I bought the insect fabric a few months back with the intention of making a Megan Nielson maternity top out of it, but decided I'd prefer it as a t-shirt instead.


Not much to add in terms of making it as I haven't made any alterations since the last proper Grainline t-shirts I made here and here. The only difference is that this is a stable knit fabric rather than a woven fabric, which means there's enough stretch to fit over my ever expanding mid section! I made this in a morning and I have no doubt it'll be a well worn piece of my wardrobe!


So, that's me done with my pledge! If you haven't joined yet, please consider it - it's such a good cause! And well done Karen for setting up such a great fund raising activity!

6 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful make and you look radiant! Thank you so much for taking part. I'm so touched by how this has connected with people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - and thanks for coming up with such a great initiative!

      Delete
  2. Looks great, looks like a great cause too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I've worn this so much - it's just sooo comfortable!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Sabs! Yeah and it should see me through the winter too with a cardie over the top.

      Delete