Sunday, 25 January 2015

Vintage Pattern Pledge # 1: Simplicity 3062

Hello all!

So as I mentioned in my previous post, I decided to sign up for the Vintage Pattern Pledge this year to try to encourage me to use some of the many vintage patterns in my stash. 

“the

As I had a wedding coming up, I wanted to make a new dress - something that would go with a lovely vintage hat I found before Christmas - so a vintage pattern seemed like a good choice! 


The pattern I've used is Simplicity 3062 - a 1959 wiggle dress pattern. There's a matching cropped jacket to go with it but I've decided not to make that this time round. 


I made the dress out of some red wool fabric I bought at my first ever Birmingham Blogger's meetup - I bought it with either a wiggle dress or some kind of skirt suit pattern in mind but never got round to making anything with it.


The bust size was right for me but I needed to alter the waist measurement so I re-drew the pattern and made a muslin to check - when I tried it on the waist was then too big so I took off about 1/2" overall around the waist and made another muslin. The fit was fine after that so I was able to get on with making the actual dress. 


I fully lined the dress with some lovely soft, grey lining fabric and ended up shortening the length of the dress by about 1" before hemming.


I did a lapped zip as I always think these look lovely with vintage dresses. 


Because the wool gets bulky where its folded, when I made the darts in the front and the back, I snipped them open and pressed each side flat rather than pressing the whole dart to one side.


I also catch-stitched the hem and whip stitched the lining to the zip to finish the dress off. 


All in all I'm quite proud of this make - the fabric is a lovely colour and the fit is really nice.  


I'm planning on making a jacket to go with the dress out of a really nice grey/blue woollen fabric I bought this weekend from Barry's Fabrics. Since the wedding is in February I wanted a jacket that would be warmer than the cropped style jacket that matches the dress pattern.


5 comments:

  1. that turned out beautiful!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Can't wait to wear it for my friends wedding!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing fit! Looks lovely on you. I love your jacket plans too. I made one the same and then managed to lose it! A joy to make though. You can see mine here if you like: http://ooobop.com/vintage-1950-vogue-jacket/ :-)

    ReplyDelete