So as I mentioned in my previous post, I decided to sign up for the Vintage Pattern Pledge this year to try to encourage me to use some of the many vintage patterns in my stash.
As I had a wedding coming up, I wanted to make a new dress - something that would go with a lovely vintage hat I found before Christmas - so a vintage pattern seemed like a good choice!
The pattern I've used is Simplicity 3062 - a 1959 wiggle dress pattern. There's a matching cropped jacket to go with it but I've decided not to make that this time round.
I made the dress out of some red wool fabric I bought at my first ever Birmingham Blogger's meetup - I bought it with either a wiggle dress or some kind of skirt suit pattern in mind but never got round to making anything with it.
The bust size was right for me but I needed to alter the waist measurement so I re-drew the pattern and made a muslin to check - when I tried it on the waist was then too big so I took off about 1/2" overall around the waist and made another muslin. The fit was fine after that so I was able to get on with making the actual dress.
I fully lined the dress with some lovely soft, grey lining fabric and ended up shortening the length of the dress by about 1" before hemming.
I did a lapped zip as I always think these look lovely with vintage dresses.
Because the wool gets bulky where its folded, when I made the darts in the front and the back, I snipped them open and pressed each side flat rather than pressing the whole dart to one side.