Sunday, 11 January 2015

Finished Project: Cambilax Dress

Hello my lovelies,

Hope you've all had a fantastic Christmas! Anybody get any exciting sewing related presents?

I've got another finished project for you today. The Cambilax dress. A combination of the Elizalex bodice and the the Cambie A-line skirt.

This Russian Dolls fabric was bought on my last Brum sewing meet-up and it's been waiting patiently to be sewn in to a dress since then! I was originally going to do the Elizalex skirt too, but I decided against it in the end because the fabric isn't exactly 'dressy' dress material and I thought the Elizalex skirt looks more like a 'dressy' dress type pattern. I wanted to wear this for work and not feel oddly overdressed (not that a dress covered in Russian dolls would make you look over dressed but you get what I mean).

Since all the pattern pieces have been used before and fit me well, this pattern took very little sewing time. I had the dress made in an afternoon (and then it sat hanging in the sewing room for half a term waiting for the hem to be finished)

I've been incredibly lazy about my hems recently and have sewn them all my machine. I really do prefer the look of catch-stitched hand sewn hems though so I'm revering back to this for my next project.

The bodice is lined as per the Elizalex pattern instructions but I left the skirt unlined as I normally wear a slip underneath in the winter anyway.

One of these days I will actually get round to making the full Elizalex pattern! But anyhoo, I love this pattern hack and it's just so comfortable to wear for work.


  1. Lovely, great for work or dressed up. The fabric is ace, I want some!

    1. Thanks Louise! Yes - I wear it loads for work as it's just so comfortable. The fabric was from Barry's Fabric in Birmingham. Not sure who the maker is though.