Thursday, 11 July 2013

Wedding photos... and a few hand-made bits and bobs

Hello!!!! Anybody still there? It's been a while, but my PGCE is now over and I have a blissful 7 weeks off before the craziness of my first year teaching starts in September so I'm going to try to make the most of t sewing and blogging wise!

Anyhoo, a few of you asked to see wedding photos (from way back in April - whoops) so here they are:

Hair first - this was done by Mel from The Vintage Salon in Birmingham (their mobile salon). She did such an  amazing job - pin curls, finger waves everything - just wish I could recreate it myself!

I found the hair combs (original 1950s) on Etsy, and just knew they'd be perfect. Then I made the birdcage veil myself using some netting and a few well placed kirby grips sewn into place at the ends and middle of the veil. Super easy but so effective, and it didn't get in the way at all.

I thought about making the dress myself since I have so many 1950s dress patterns but it would have been too much to handle what with sorting the rest of the wedding out and trying to qualify as a teacher at the same time! But luckily I found my dress at Coast and when I tried it on, I loved it. I was determined to get things that I would wear on more than just my wedding day, so I decided to go for blue shoes rather than the traditional cream/white wedding shoes and I've worn them loads since which is great.

Front and back view - appliqu├ęd lace flowers all over the outer layer of the dress:


And full length view of the dress and shoes:

I made the cape myself using Simplicity 1944 (the same pattern Katie made her amazing plaid version from). After I saw her version at the Birmingham Blogger Meetup last November, I knew it would be the perfect pattern for the cape I wanted to make to go over my dress so I searched Etsy for another version of the pattern and was lucky enough to find one so purchased it straight away!

I made it out of a white wool and lined it with a navy blue satin lining. It was the perfect cover-up for a chilly day!

My Sister in Law did all the flowers for my bouquet, the buttonholes and the table decorations - she did the most amazing job!

And we decorated the venue from scratch ourselves the day before (there was a bit of a real ale theme running through the wedding, with all the tables named after independent breweries and the brewery bottles used for the flowers and candles):

We also made all the invitations, order of service and thank you cards ourselves:

So there we have it. Hope you liked the photos! Up next, all those finished makes I haven't yet blogged about!

7 comments:

  1. Yey! Great pics :) I love all your personal touches to the day, and your dress with the appliqued flowers is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful - both you and the wedding! I had to laugh when I saw the beer bottles, as that's what my boyfirend and I talk about doing, but if I have my way a few funny wines will be in there too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, it all looks so beautiful! Your dress and the cape and the veil and everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, you look fabulous! Tres chic...and I can't believe you made that cape, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! It was a lovely day - hard work to sort out all by ourselves, but worth it to have the exact day we wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look beautiful! Congrats (belated) to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Felicidade, que bonito el vestido, el peinado, el estilismo de las mesas,me encanta todo. Cris

    ReplyDelete