Saturday, 13 July 2013

Gertie's Pencil Skirt #1, #2 and #3

Mmmm.... I think I may have an addiction to pencil skirts! I made all three of these within the space of about a month.


I made the wool plaid version first back in March, ready to take on our mini-moon to Edinburgh along with my Swing Dress. I cut a straight size 6US and added about 2" extra to the hem. Unfortunately I managed to slash through the fabric towards the hem when I was serging the seams though so ended up having to make it shorter than I originally wanted.

This was my first attempt sewing with a woollen fabric and it was an absolute dream although the fabric could get bulky at the hems. I'm so happy with how well I matched the plaid too! Never done it before so it could have gone horribly wrong.



I made the green version next out of some stable knit fabric - I love the colour of this fabric! Plus I managed not to slash through the hem this time so I got the below the knee vintage length that I wanted!


Then, when we were in Edinburgh I found some lovely petrol blue double knit in a fabric shop up there and thought I'd see how well double knit worked with this pattern too. It doesn't work as well as the green stable knit but it's still just fine and has a more relaxed, softer feel to the skirt rather than the rigid pencil skirt of the wool version.

I've finished all of them off with either bias binding or lace on the hem and round the skirt vent at the back.


Next up to be made is a bright red version made out of some red gabardine I bought on the last Birmingham sewing meetup last month. Then that should be it.... for now at least!

5 comments:

  1. Oooooh pretty !! I love them all but especially the green one :)) loving the hem trims too, a woman after my own heart :)) I found gerties skirt to be a little like Pringles, once you pop you can't stop !! I can't stop making them either xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blue zipper on the green skirt so much, I think I will try a contrasting color next time. I can understand why you have made a few of the same. This is a great staple to your wardrobe, just like a pair of slacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all great but I love the green one. The contrast with the blue works so well and the button is very cute. The lace trim on the others works so well too. I think this skirt will look gorgeous in red!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the plaid one! The green and blue are such marvelous colors - they'll really pop with whatever you pair with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! Meg - I love the plaid one too, but the green one is probably my favourite - for comfort alone!

    ReplyDelete