Saturday, 9 February 2013

Finished Project: Summer Ginger Skirt

Morning everyone! Are you all glad it's the weekend?

I've got another finished project for you today. This time it's a Colette Ginger skirt. This is technically a refashion of a previous  self-stitched project. Back in May, during the MMM '12 project, I made myself a gathered skirt out of some lovely bright, summery cotton from Frumble Fabrics.

Gathered Skirt
There was nothing wrong with the make itself, but I've hardly worn this skirt because I just don't feel like it really flatters my figure overly much. I'm not sure whether some of this is down to the thickness of the cotton I used for the gathered skirt, as it is quite a thick cotton or whether it's just the style, but gathered skirts (like on the Cambie Dress) look fine on me when attached to a dress bodice.


So anyway, since the fabric was just so pretty and it seemed silly to have something in my wardrobe I just didn't wear, I decided to refashion it into something else. I originally thought about using the Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt pattern but I didn't have enough fabric for that so I went with the Colette Ginger pattern instead, which used up more or less every scrap of this fabric.


Nothing much else to report really. I went with the straight waistband on this make as the shaped waistbands sit a little too high for my relatively short waist and lined it with a polyester lining.

Have a good weekend everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Helen, you've been sewing up a storm lately. This Ginger is a keeper! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a refashion. Totally went va-va-voom on that Ginger. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. i love this shape on you and the skirt fits much better x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Ginger skirt. The style is really great on you! You will get a lot of wear out of the skirt this time round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new skirt looks so much better on you! Really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now it suits you brilliantly! Super fit and lovely colours...J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone. I agree the Ginger is much more suited to my shape than the gathered skirt. Now all I need is some warm weather to actually be able to wear it!

    Northy Lane: This will probably be the last few posts for a while as I'm smack bang back in another teaching placement till Easter, but I thought I'd make the most of my relatively free time to get some sewing done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent make over!
    By the way I've nominated you for a blog award :-)
    http://almondrock.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/sew-grateful-week-winner/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks so much! Hopefully I'll get round to blogging about it once things have calmed down here a bit!

      Delete
  9. Of course I love the new skirt! Perhaps the other shape was a little too much with that print and color scheme; the tighter fit is more mature and sophisticated! It's very flattering!

    ReplyDelete