Saturday, 2 February 2013

Finished Project: 'Got Your Measure' Cambie

Hello again!

Another finished make for you today. This time my Cambie dress, made with the tape measure fabric I bought on the Birmingham Blogger Meetup back in November. I fell in love with this fabric the moment I saw it. I actually have a different colour variation saved on my Pinterest Board, but when I saw these autumnal colours I just new this was the version for me!


 Not much to report pattern wise. As with my Christmas Cambie, I sewed 6/8" side seams on the bodice instead of the usual 5/8".

I did however, have a minor disaster when cutting out the pattern pieces on this version. I bought 3m of this fabric at the meetup but, probably because I decided to cut the pieces so the tape measures ran horizontal, I managed to not have enough to cut out the front skirt piece! Oops. Luckily, a quick trip back to Barry's the other weekend got me another meter of fabric - enough to finish cutting out the skirt pieces.


I added another 2" to the length of this version to make it properly on the knee instead of just above it like my other versions. I also added crochet lace to the hem of the underskirt - just for fun - because I could!


I did a lapped zipper on this dress instead of the concealed zip (because i didn't have a concealed zip of that length and couldn't be bothered to go out and buy one), which made attaching the lining slightly different from usual, but I managed it in the end.


I wore it out for the first time the other day and loved it. It was so nice to be wearing a bit of colour on such a dull day - much more interesting than everyone else's grey and black! :-)

In other news, I've also finished (finally) by Bombshell Dress so I'll put up a post about that in the next day or so.

18 comments:

  1. This is lovely, and the fabric is fantastic! Good pattern matching on the back too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks - that pattern matching was pure luck! But it worked out well.

      Delete
  2. This looks incredible Helen!!! Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It looks really good on you - definitely your style I think. And the colours, wow! I've put my cambie on hold for a bit as I have another project to finish but looking at your version makes me itch to get on with mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sabs. I really love this pattern but it's probably time I sewed a different dress!

      Delete
  5. Adorable! WHat a unique Cambie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fabric is so much fun and the Cambie has such a flattering silhouette. More colour to the people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha definitely. I'm all for a bit of colour in the winter! Plus I love this fabric so it's a win win!

      Delete
  7. Lovely, and I agree with the comment about impressive fabric matching at the back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. That fabric matching was pure luck. I didn't actually think about matching it when I cut it out!

      Delete
  8. I love your dress Helen! And that fabric is awesome, the colours really suit you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Hazel! The fabric is pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen, great to meet you yesterday. Love the dress. Glad to see the fabric got put to very good use:)

    ReplyDelete