Friday, 4 January 2013

Finished Project: Christmas Cambie


Back in November I decided I wanted to make a Christmas themed dress for the last day of term at school, to properly get in the Christmas spirit. I found this cotton Rudolf  fabric online and thought it'd make a great Christmas dress.


I thought the Cambie dress would be perfect for this so I made version B this time as I wanted a fuller skirt. The last Cambie I made was just a smidge too loose on the bodice so this time I sewed 6/8" side seams instead of 5/8" seams, which seamed to do the trick.


I lined the dress with white cotton lining again and also lengthened the skirt by about 2". I could still have it a little longer though so I might add a total of 3" on next time and see how that turns out. Other than that though, there isn't really anything else new to mention in terms of construction. The whole thing took me a day to sew up, tops. It's such a simple make really for such a neat, lovely finished dress. Tasia has made the instructions so easy to follow.


The dress went down very well at school on the last day of term and my 2 1/2 year old niece also loved it when I wore it again on Christmas day! lol

Next up a sewing themed Cambie with the tape measure fabric I bought at the Birmingham Blogger Meetup.


I can't wait to get started on this!

10 comments:

  1. Oooh, pretty Christmas dress and the next version is going to be amazing too! I seriously need to get in on the Cambie action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally get in on the Cambie action - both versions are so lovely! I'm planning on getting the tape measure fabric cut out this weekend so it's ready to start.

      Delete
  2. Ohh that's so cool. Fit is great x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sewing 6/8" side seams instead made all the difference to the fit.

      Delete
  3. That is gorgeous! It could be your Xmas dress forevermore now! I got the cambie pattern for Christmas along with some lovely dark green fabric so think I'll be making myself one of these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Helen :) It's really flattering on you. The Cambie has just moved further up my sewing list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sabs, Kat - you should both definitely get cracking with this pattern - it's such a lovely, flattering dress - I don't think I've seen a bad version of it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is I just don't know which version I want to make first!!

      Delete
  6. looks fabulous! Can't wait to see your next project! I love christmas fabrics to bad Christmas is already over :(

    ReplyDelete