Monday, 21 January 2013

Finished Project: Blue Renfrew

Afternoon all,

Thought I'd share my very first attempt at sewing with jersey today! I've had the Renfrew pattern sitting in my pattern stash since Tasia released it and every time I've seen a great version of this top, I've wanted to start my own, but somehow I never got round to it. Until today that is!

Now, this pattern calls for stable knit fabric and I'm pretty sure the jersey I used for this top doesn't fit that description remotely since it's very stretchy and a complete nightmare to try to handle. And maybe that has something to do with my general blah'ness about this top, but despite many people in the blogging world positively gushing over working with knits I can't say I enjoyed this experience over much.

Excuse the lack of make up. I had a study day today and just couldn't be bothered to put any on.
 It has absolutely nothing to do with Tasia's instructions, which were, as usual, very clear and easy to follow, but the whole stress of sewing with knits really did my head in. I could not for the life of me get the stretch stitches on my machine to behave with this fabric, so I ended up sewing the whole thing on my serger instead. This isn't a problem per se, but there are no seam allowance markers on my serger so my 5/8" seams are pretty much none existent. That means the fit isn't overly accurate. However, it seems to have worked out OK in the end I guess because it's not a total failure.


I cut a size 8 for this pattern, which is a size down from what I usually cut in Sewaholic patterns, but I like my t-shirts relatively fitted. What with the stretchiness of the fabric and my, probably smaller than 5/8", seams that was definitely a good thing as I wouldn't want it any looser than it is.


I really like the look of this pattern, and it makes a great wardrobe basic, but I'm not sure I'll be rushing ahead to make another version any time. There are plenty of other things I'd rather be wrestling with and I really can't face the hassle of sewing with jersey again as it currently stands. Maybe if I see some decent quality jersey at some point I'll buy some to give it another go, but for the moment I'm going to put this down as a valuable sewing experience, but not one I want to repeat for a while.

In other news I have also finished my tape measure fabric Cambie dress (bar the hem) and I just need to hand stitch my bodice lining into the main shell of my bombshell dress and finish off the hem. So hopefully there'll be a couple more finished makes to show on here before long! Which is a good job really because I start placement number 2 of my PGCE in a fortnight and then I get married at Easter so there's not going to be a whole lot of blogging / crafting going on round here for a while!

7 comments:

  1. I love the colour on you. Isn't the Renfrew such a great pattern? I made four Renfrews on one particularly industrious Saturday and I wear them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about knits - I have made one garment so far and got so put off I haven't tried again yet! But must say, the Renfrew looks great on you! Wow, busy times ahead for you. Can't wait to see your latest cambie...how's the wedding prep going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both - I love the colour of the jersey too - it's just a shame it was such a nightmare to work with! :-) The pattern is so nice though so maybe I'll give it another go one day.

    As for the wedding prep Sabs - it's going fine, we're very organised amazingly. Just the final little details to finish and some wedding related outfit crafting to do and we're ready to go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not that 'into' knits either, but always get inspired when I see what other people can do. The Renfrew is a great pattern and does suit you - might be worth giving it another go...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, I probably will give it another go at some point, but I think I'll stick to woven fabric for the time being.

      Delete
  5. So pretty!! Love the color. I'm sure you'll get the hang of knits. Definitely don't give up. This is too nice on you to stop now.
    Looking forward to seeing your Cambie. It's such a lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley! Well I've just bought myself the Tiramisu Dress by Cake patterns, which is a knit pattern so I'll probably be giving knits a go again soon - I'm just going to make sure I buy some decent jersey fabric this time!

      Delete