Sunday, 4 November 2012

Birmingham Blogger Meetup

Now, as Marie has already posted in detail about the Birmingham meetup yesterday I won't add any more, other than to say what a FAB time I had and to say a huge thank you to Marie and Kat for organising such a great day. I can't believe I'd never been to Barry's Fabric Superstore before - just awsome! It was so lovely to finally meet some of the bloggers I follow in person and also meet some lovely new bloggers I didn't know about.

I will however, share the goodies that I came home with. I feel I was quite restrained with my purchases - I only bought 10m of fabric - that's not much, right?

Firstly I found this lovely wool fabric in one of the stalls outside. I asked for 1.5m and got nearly 2 since it was the end of the roll for a total of £6.


It's destined for a skirt - maybe the skirt that goes with Gertie's Starlet Suit Jacket Course since it's lying around somewhere.

Then, in the indoor market, Katie and I spied this gorgeous deep wine red wool fabric for £5 per m so we both decided to snaffle some of it up.


I came away with 3m of the stuff. I have visions of a cute wiggle dress. maybe the one from Gertie's book or one of the other vintage patterns I have in my stash.

Then, after visiting The Fancy Silk Store, where I was totally restrained and didn't buy anything, it was off to Barry's Fabric Superstore - basically a warehouse full of fabric of all kinds - amazing! I caved in when I got here and came away with 1m of this beautiful 100% wool fabric, which I plan on making into a pencil skirt (£11.95 per m);


And 3m of this amazing cotton, which I plan on making into a full skirted Cambie dress (about £5m I think).


Not only that, but after a lovely lunch in Cafe Soya, we had a bit of a mammoth swap, and I came home with all these goodies too!


Thanks to all the lovely, funny, friendly ladies who made this such a fantastic day!

21 comments:

  1. Had so much fun and it was lovely meeting you... Oh I got that 100% wool too, to make Gertie's skirt as I loved Katie's version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we might end up with matching skirts then - I have plans to make a pencil skirt out of that wool too! :D

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it Helen and that you managed to get some beautiful fabric, patterns and notions out of the day too! Thanks so much for coming along!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for organising it! You got a pretty big haul too - or should we not be mentioning that? :D

      Delete
    2. Erm...best not to mention that ;o)

      Delete
  3. So glad you enjoyed it, was lovely to meet you! And what fab goodies you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet you too - thanks for organising such a great day!

      Delete
  4. Oh, my! All those fabrics are lovely! I should be so excited about the goodies, yeah! I imagine it must be a lot of fun meeting other people of the sewing comunity. Never happened to me, but I bet the conversation would be a non-stop one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes Merche, the sewing conversations never stopped - it was great! :D Can't wait to actually have time to sew tham all up now!

      Delete
  5. Ooo you got some really lovely stuff!

    Great to meet you yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes they're all very lovely - now just to find time to make stuff out of the all! Lovely to meet you Saturday too!

      Delete
  6. Looks like quite a haul...some real quality there Helen.. Lovely to meet you too and to have such sewing related fun. I look forward to seeing a few tape measure cambie dresses originating from Barry's!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't wait to make my Cambie out of that tape measure fabric!

      Delete
  7. It was lovely meeting you, Helen, and thank you for your wonderful directions at the end of the day :-) I look forward to seeing what you make! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the directions were ok and you found your way back to the bus stop! It was lovely to meet you you!

      Delete
  8. That cotton is indeed amazing!!! I'm excited to see your Cambie made up - it will be so lovely :) What a wonderful thing for everyone to be able to meet up - it looks like it was a marvelous time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a brilliant day that's for sure! Shame you're just that little bit too far away to join us! :D

      Delete
  9. Wow, great fabric. I was gutted that I missed the meet up (esp seeing that I live in Birmingham!) Must keep an eye out for the next one... ps love your first Cambie dress too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame you missed it! If ever you want a shopping partner to the rag market let me know - I only live in Coventry so it's easy enough to get there!

      Delete
    2. ooh, i might take you up on that! I also know kelly from bakedoandmend who might be interested - she's in wolverhampton... i can't wait to see your woolly creations (i'm fairly new to sewing clothes so a bit scared of anything that's not cotton at the mo!)

      Delete
    3. Do! Just drop me an email when you fancy it and we can sort a meetup out! You're clothes are looking pretty good so far!

      Delete