Saturday, 7 April 2012

A Hat-trick of Colette Patterns

I started reading sewing blogs before I actually started sewing. By the time I got myself a sewing machine I'd seen loads of gorgeous examples of colette patterns all over the blogosphere and I just knew I had to jump on the band-wagon and get a couple of patterns myself. First of all though, I downloaded the Sorbetto top to begin with, having seen fantastic versions by Karen back in July and Marie in June of last year. I had enough red and white linen left over from some napkins and tea-towels I made for a friend to make a Sorbetto in each colour
I stuck to the original design for the red version, although I left out the bias binding on the arm-holes because I ran out of white bias tape, oops! For the white one, I decided to invert the central pleat and only sew the seam at the top:
Having made them both, I think I prefer the original version, but you live and learn right? They've both been worn loads since they were made though as they're both perfect for work with some smarter trousers / skirts and with jeans.


As everyone else keep saying, the instructions that go along with Colette patterns are simple and easy the follow.


And for the hat-trick - well it's a Colette Ginger skirt (looking lovely with my red sorbetto)
The main body of the skirt is actually from v.2 of the pattern - I originally made the sweetheart waistband to go with it, but decided that it looked awful on my short waistline, so I used the narrow waistband from v.3 instead, which looks much better.


Again, the instructions were so easy to follow. I followed the guidance of Scruffy Badger and the Colette blog post about sewing facings with an invisible zipper to sew a full lining in the skirt - and it worked out perfectly - so, sewing invisible zippers... check!


The skirt is made in black needlecord, which makes it perfect for sashaying around the office as well as lazing around at the weekend. What more could you ask! It's become a definite wardrobe staple since I made it so there will no doubt be other versions soon - probably some summery versions as well as a denim version.

2 comments:

  1. Clever idea with the white top, well done! I might share that idea at my monthly sewing club, I already shared that pattern, thanks you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Penny. One of the things I love about the Sorbetto is that it's just so versatile. There's even a sleeve template available on the Sew Weekly blog by Mena Trott: http://www.sewweekly.com/2011/07/7dos-the-starter-sorbetto/

    ReplyDelete